Welcome to Episode 116 of the Salsa Kings LIVE podcast
We have been featured as #1 in “Top 10 Salsa Podcasts” on FeedSpot.
Welcome to another episode of Salsa Kings Live, today we had the pleasure of sitting down with the captivating Johanna Cueva. With a passion for salsa that has been coursing through her since childhood, Johanna’s journey is a testament to the transformative power of dance and self-discovery.
1. From Roots to Rhythms: Johanna’s journey begins in Peru and takes her to the vibrant dance scene of Miami. Salsa has been with her since the age of 5. Her dance journey unfolded through school, studios, and even competitive teams, introducing her to an enriching community that eventually led her to cross paths with our host, Andres Fernandez and lots of amazing individuals.
“I’m glad I got into an uncomfortable place because it led me to the dance where I am today.”
2. Embracing Discomfort: Johanna delves into her time spent in competitive and performance teams, sharing the invaluable lessons of discipline and resilience she gained from these challenging experiences. Though her path shifted as she transitioned from competition to instruction, she faced another curveball when life’s unpredictability forced her to close her own brand new dance studio.
3. Mindful Bandwidth: Andres Fernandez introduces the concept of bandwidth, emphasizing the nature of limited time and energy in our daily lives. By placing these resources (time and energy) mindfully to various tasks and responsibilities, individuals can achieve a sustainable balance and avoid the pitfalls of burnout.
4. The Unsung Confidence of Salsa: Beyond mastering steps and timing, Johanna uncovers the unspoken realm of salsa – confidence and self-perception. The dance floor becomes a canvas for expressing oneself, shaping posture, attitude, and self-assurance. Johanna and Andres explore why individuals might have confidence on the dance floor while struggling with it in everyday life, and vice versa.
5. Dance Beyond the Dance: Salsa becomes more than a dance; it becomes a medium for personal growth. From posture and social skills to integrity and discipline, salsa can serve as a transformative tool for improving various aspects of life. The confidence cultivated on the dance floor carries over into everyday experiences, but it all depends on our perspectives in this matter.
6. The Virtue of Patience: Johanna advocates for patience in pursuing various life endeavors, emphasizing the need to appreciate the journey, acknowledge progress, and set realistic expectations. Whether learning salsa, building a business, or working on personal fitness, true growth takes time.
“You are better than 50% of people just for showing up, better than 90% for doing the hard work after showing up, and the last 10% is dog fighting.”
7. Salsa for Mental Health: Johanna’s future aspirations involve creating a salsa program centered around mental health, targeting determined women who often overlook self-love and self-care. She underscores the importance of self-care as a foundation for giving to others.
As we wrap up our conversation, Johanna reminds us that top performers often go through significant challenges to reach their level of mastery. Life is demanding, but whether we let it defeat us or emerge as warriors is a choice we all have.Thank you for joining us on this insightful episode “Confidently Her.” Remember, your journey is a testament to your strength, and it’s through embracing discomfort that we truly find ourselves.Stay tuned for more empowering stories and conversations. Until next time, stay confident, stay resilient, and keep dancing through life.
Tune into this awesome interview! Never miss a beat and SUBSCRIBE to receive Salsa Kings LIVE notifications on right here on YouTube or via Text Message: Text the word JOIN to 69922 #SalsaKings#SalsaKingsLIVE